They feel they have been wronged. And there is a reason for it:
1. The arrangement with the Maharaja was to have a Prime Minister for Kashmir. They would have their own constitution. Only Security, Foreign Policy, Currency were to be Indian. Populist leader Sheikh A. was also a part of this discussion and even he too vouched for India
2. Mountbatten suggested that this issue should be taken to UN as he was the Governor General that time. He made sure we got the best deal by adding the following clauses in the UN resolution
a. Pakistan must vacate from POK first. Mandatory
b. Once POK is vacated, India would vacate and keep bare minimum army just in case Pakistan goes back on its words.
c. Referendum for freedom or joining with either India or Pakistan under complete UN supervision
Pakistan rejected this demand. So India rejected as well. Kashmiris Wronged first time.
3. Sheikh thought that this going nowhere, hence he visited China, US & europe to force both armies to vacate, and allow Kashmir to hold referendum
4. India, rightly felt, it was wronged and hence Sheikh was put in Prison for bypassing India. This was the second time they felt wrong
5. An elected government was removed from power by Governor. Wronged again.
6. There were mild skirmishes for around 25 years and Kashmiris didn’t take arms as expected. But after Khalistan agitation in Punjab was finished, an angered Pak instigated & trained Kashmiris for armed struggle. They knew that if voting happens, there were Hindus who will vote for India. So they cleansed the Kashmiri Pandits out of Kashmir.
Indian armed forces ruthlessly cut down this militancy and resulted in collateral damage. Again wronged.
6. Then Rapes happened, illegal detention, etc. Felt wronged again
And this has been happening over and over again. People of the valley are now blaming any hardship they face to the fact that India is the only reason for it. It has now embedded in their psyche. They don’t realize that some among them have also committed crimes like Murders, Plunders, kidnappings, etc. There is no empathy from any side.
The only way is to bring Hurriyat on table along with other parties. Ask for period of calm in which they wont interfere. Check the progress. Do Infrastructure development for people. Make them happy and then based on the feel good factor, Call for UN resolution again.
Killings can never solve any issues. Its the truth since ancient times. If yes, you would have to completely kill everyone of the enemy/race,etc so that there is no dissent/opposition at all in future. In our case, you can’t kill all the people of the valley. Thats not our bharat is like. The only way to solve this issue is by conversation, development & back to 1947 status quo. Even a better solution would be to use Vajpayee sir’s Kashmiriyat Proposal of heartfelt love among people of different religions as well as bringing back our Kashmiri Pandits back to the valley of their ancestors.